Friday, April 4, 2014

Yowsa!


I'd just like to go on record here by saying that when I said (when I started this blog) that I wouldn't be sticking to a schedule, I did expect to be posting at least once a week. I guess the fact that it's been almost a month since my last post speaks volumes about how the writing's been going lately.

As I said in my last post, it's been a long, hard winter, and it's been especially hard for those of us who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). In fact, one medical professional I was speaking to recently said this winter was exceptionally bad for people with SAD, and even people who aren't normally affected by it were suffering.

But while it makes me feel better to know there's a reason I've been so tired and unmotivated this winter, it doesn't get any words onto the page. Hopefully, now that the snow is disappearing and the temperature is rising I'll be able to get back on track.

Currently Writing

An Elemental Earth

14477 / 50000 words. 29% done!

I've been saying for a while now that I'd like to start posting chapters to this serial twice a week, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen. After weeks of being late getting even single posts up, I'm finally back on track with the weekly installments, but I have yet to write ahead.

Even though I'm a die-hard pantser (someone who writes by the seat of their pants without using an outline) I usually have a general idea of where a story's going when I start writing it. This one has veered off into a completely different direction than I intended. A couple of things happened that weren't supposed to happen yet and something else has yet to happen. It's throwing the dynamic off and I'm either going to have to find a way to go with the flow or I'm going to be doing a major rewrite when I'm done.

It's probably just my imagination, but my characters seem to spend an awful lot of time talking. Yeah, their conversations have purpose and move the story forward, but I'd like to see a little more action. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the characters decide to do.

Currently Editing

Still not editing anything right now. At least, nothing of my own.

New Writing

Lucky Dog

50969 / 70000 words. 73% done!

I'm still going over what I've already got of Lucky Dog, which is why I've only added a measly 39 words. However, I've had some good ideas of scenes that need to be added - two of which are pivotal to the plot and one of which sets up the ending to be less of a cliff hanger than Magical Misfire was. Something really bad will happened, but the revenge for this evil deed will be awesome. :-)

On Deck

Forever and For Always

73622 / 80000 words. 92% done!

I've read over what I've written of this book, and the first 150 pages (of just over 200) aren't bad if I do say so myself. Then comes a few half-finished scenes and then some brief notes about three major scenes before it continues to a pretty awesome ending. :-)

That's the good news. The bad news is that I think my estimate of it being 80,000 words before I'm done is a little low. I'm pretty sure it's going to be closer to 100,000 before I'm done.

No comments: