Saturday, August 27, 2016

Pen to Paper, A to B
Fun With Quotes

So how, exactly does one have fun with quotes?
Glad you asked! If you’re like me, you start by exchanging quotes on a daily basis with your Best Bud. But not just any quotes, writing quotes, to give each other inspiration. And then you pick the two best quotes of the week to share with the rest of the world - because ... why not? :-D


Despite the fact that Jamie and I sent each other very similar quotes (on the same day no less), I chose this one as my favourite for the week:

I like the process of pencil and paper as opposed to a machine. I think the writing is better when it's done in handwriting.
- Nelson DeMille

I may have mentioned this before, but when I first started writing I used a pen and paper. I don’t want to date myself, but this was back in the day when computers were pretty much unheard of in the home. While I did have a typewriter (an electric, self-correcting one at that) I didn’t use it to compose on, I just typed out what I had hand written.

Even after I got my first computer, I still hand wrote my stories. In fact, it took several computers before I felt comfortable enough to compose on one. I still make my changes when editing in hand writing, typing them in when I’m done. My poetry is all written by hand before it’s typed up on the computer. Normally I use a pencil to compose poetry with because it’s easier to make changes.

There’s just something about the tactile sensation of pen (or pencil) in hand, writing on paper that is inspiring. I’ve been in somewhat of a writing slump lately and I’m seriously thinking of getting back to the basics and hand writing a story. Lord knows I have enough pens and paper! ;-)

My own quote this week is short and sweet and has nothing to do with Jamie’s. I liked all of my quotes, but I liked this one best even though it’s not really about writing - although it could be. :

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
~ Albert Einstein

You can write in a logical manner, you can lay your thoughts out in a proper sequence and be grammatically correct. Your story is technically perfect and your facts lead the reader from point A to point B, taking the most efficient route. There’s nothing wrong with the story, per se, it’s just ... well ... boring.

On the other hand, you can let your imagination loose, have it follow a winding path that twists and turns on itself. Maybe you take a few detours along the way from point A to point B, but you get there all the same. You engage your reader, keep them off balance, and they can’t wait to see what happens next.

Which do you think is the better method?

No comments: